Saturday, November 21, 2009

Let not the right hand know where the left hand put the wallet

Kind readers, if you're anything like me, you wish you had more money. I am trying to make strides paying on our family's debt--largely student loans--while anticipating replacement of two aged cars in the near future. I keep wishing to win the lottery (I don't buy tickets...), write a bestseller (I have no time to write), or stumble upon some highly valuable thing in my cluttered basement (glassware? books? cookware? uh, I think not.).

Some of you MUST be in the same boat--just too little jingle in the pocket to get it done. My goal, personally, is to pay off our albatross of student loan debt as soon as humanly possible, so we can get on with things.

Here are some resources I've come across that I will highly recommend to you, my friendly pennypinchers:

The Simple Dollar, an exceptional, insightful personal finance blog for those of us with families;

The Simple Living Guide, by Janet Luhrs, which is the most thorough treatment I've found of simplifying it all in the quest for a more meaningful life;

Your Money or Your Life, by Robin, Dominguez, and Tilford, which rethinks the hamster wheel of work-and-spend.

That's enough to get you going, right? Take a look. Check one of these out at your public library, and tell me what you think.

No comments: